65 Years in Sustainable Development Banking...
Şekerbank T.A.Ş. was founded in 1953 in Anatolia as a cooperative bank with the small savings of thousands of sugar beet cooperative member farmers in order to finance agriculture, rural development and local production. Today as a nationwide commercial bank, Şekerbank T.A.Ş.is honored to have preserved and carried out its founding mission of financing sustainable development for over the past 65 years.
Şekerbank T.A.Ş. stands out in its know-how of local community banking knowledge thanks to it’s branch network, across 71 cities and almost 100 off-center districts in Turkey, 66% of which are located in the Anatolia region, outside of the country’s three largest cities.
Şekerbank’s sustainable development strategy is rooted in the bank’s history and foundation. Throughout it’s 63 year journey, Şekerbank has carried out its activities under the framework of sustainable development, and has been committed to creating economic, social, and environmental value and improving local and rural development in Turkey’s Anatolia region.
Through its support of energy efficiency investments, Şekerbank has introduced energy savings to almost 75,000 people and businesses through EKOkredi since 2009. Additionally, Şekerbank has started the “Family Farming Banking” Project, a pioneering program to support farmers and sustainable production.
Having defined its mission as 'Community Banking,', Şekerbank pioneered Turkey’s first microfinance lending model, and has applied it to reach out to segments that have never been introduced to banking services before.
Şekerbank has developed a broad-based customer profile and is regarded as a "key bank of Turkey" by international financial institutions. Şekerbank assigns a significant part of its total loan portfolio to farmers, craftsmen, enterprises and corporate firms, and builds social platforms that include the real sector, public, and NGOs in order to create value ‘beyond the loan’ for its customers.
The activities carried out and the basic commitments within the scope of Şekerbank’s understanding of “sustainable development” can be summarized as follows:
• To ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all by financing investments in this field with favorable conditions and creating widespread awareness in the field of energy efficiency,
• To support local agricultural production,
• To carry out financial inclusion by reaching out to segments that have limited access to financial resources,
• To support more farmers, craftsmen and enterprises through local banking competency,
• To create platforms through collaborating with the private sector, public and non-governmental organizations,
• To form a sustainable financing bridge between international financial institutions and Anatolian SMEs,
• To participate in platforms formed for fighting climate change,
• To consider environmental and social impacts of the loans,
• To take a leading role in corporate governance processes,
• To carry out culture & art projects which allows society access to contemporary art.
Şekerbank participates in the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), CDP Water, and is a signatory of the United Nations Global Compact (Global Principles Convention) as well as the UNEP FI (United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative).